7 Low-calorie Breakfast Ideas to Start Your Morning
So, this new year, you have decided to lose those extra pounds you gained over the holiday season. It is a good resolution and something you should keep up with. There is no time better than today to start being healthy and lose some weight as obesity leads to multiple chronic diseases. When trying to lose weight, the trick is to eat low-calorie breakfast and meals. A low-calorie breakfast means making a breakfast that is between 300- 450 calories. Also, ensure that you have a high-protein breakfast as it helps you build muscle and lose fat.
When you work out for an hour or two, your body releases a lot of energy. To replenish it, breakfast is essential, and skipping it for diet culture is the worst thing to do. A low-calorie breakfast can help you maintain energy throughout the day without craving junk or sugar.
All this can be too much, especially when you are going down this path for the first time. Determining a high-protein breakfast that is rich, healthy, yet delicious can be challenging. Therefore, to help you out, we are listing the best breakfast for weight loss that is both low-calorie and rich in protein.
7 Low-calorie Breakfast Ideas
Idea 1: Sprouts salad
Sprouts are versatile breakfast options. It is a high-protein breakfast that is also rich in fiber. It will keep you full for a long time. It has around 260 calories per bowl. So, you can even enjoy one and a half bowls.
Add sliced onions, tomatoes, chillies, and more to your sprouts with herbs & spices to make them delicious.
Idea 2: Zucchini pancakes with instant oats
Zucchini is rich in antioxidants and water, which can help your digestive system. Switch your morning sweet pancakes with savory zucchini pancakes, which are high in protein and a low-calorie breakfast option.
It will keep you full, help release energy slowly into your body,, and is quite delicious too.
- Add instant oats to grated zucchini to make it bind and more fulfilling. Add herbs, spices, onions, eggs, and anything you like to the mix.
- The steps for making zucchini pancakes are similar to the sweet ones. Also, add a scoop of low-fat Greek yogurt for more protein and taste.
Idea 3: Moong dal chila or green gram lentil pancake
Pancakes or chilla are a staple breakfast dish in India. When you make pancakes out of moong dal or green gram lentils, it is one of the best breakfasts for weight loss. It is low in calories and high in protein, making it a perfect post and pre-workout meal. One moong-dal chila has only 128 calories.
- You can make it rich by adding grated cottage cheese, carrot, onion, tomatoes, and more. Add spices to grated vegetables, and it will be a treat in your mouth.
- Eat this low-calorie breakfast with coconut or coriander dip, and it will be a perfect combination.
Ideas 4: Overnight rolled oats with strawberries or blueberries
A low-calorie breakfast option that is soothing, comforting, and easy to make is overnight oats. We all know that oats are rich in fiber and protein. They are easy to digest as well and when you have them in breakfast, your craving for junk is less.
To make this low-calorie breakfast also rich in protein, add chia seeds, nuts, milk (dairy or non-dairy), greek yogurt, and fresh servings of fruits. You can make oatmeal or twist it with overnight oats, which roughly have around 260 calories.
Overnight oats can have many variations all depending on your taste.
- In a jar, add rolled oats, greek yogurt, chia seeds, nuts of your choice, and a bit of milk.
- Mix well and store in the fridge.
- In the morning, add fresh blueberries or strawberries and enjoy this delicious breakfast with your morning coffee.
Idea 5: Smoked bagel with salmon
A high-protein breakfast with only 314 calories is a smoked bagel with salmon. It is a super delicious and protein-rich meal making it another best breakfast for weight loss.
- To make it healthy and low in calories, switch refined bagels with a whole wheat bagels.
- For the filling, take low-fat cream cheese, smoked bagel, sprouts, and anything else you want. Enjoy it with a cup of hot espresso and feel energetic throughout the day.
Idea 6: Chia pudding
Most people grab a sandwich or just run out with coffee in hand in the mornings due to lack of time. Thus, eating something high in calories or nothing at all. With this low-calorie breakfast option, time is not an issue. All you need is 10 minutes, and your chia pudding is ready. Or you can make it overnight.
- Chia seeds are a superfood as it is rich in omega-3, fiber, and calcium. It is very healthy and fulfilling, and you can make it protein-rich too by adding nuts or protein powder.
- If you want to get more benefits, use a superfood mix, which is a mix of multiple seeds, to make this pudding.
- Just add chia seeds to the milk, and your pudding is ready. For more benefits, add protein powder, nuts, fresh fruits, and greek yogurt if you wish.
Idea 7: Scrambled egg/cottage cheese
In India, people make an egg or paneer bhurji which is equivalent to a scrambled egg. If you are a vegetarian, you can substitute egg with cottage cheese or tofu.
- Mix lots of vegetables and saute till you get the desired consistency.
- Eat it as it is or with whole wheat toast or make a sandwich out of the filling.
- The total calorie is around 350 calories depending on what you add to the mix.
To lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit while working out. That does not mean that you eat only 1200 calories per day. It means whatever your daily calorie requirement is, you eat a bit less than that without starving yourself. To do this, starting your day with a high-protein breakfast is ideal. We hope these low-calorie breakfast options give your mornings a nice twist and your waist some fewer inches.