Why Include Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Your Diet?
Omega-3, also known as the “good fat” is an integral nutrient for the overall health of our body. Unfortunately, this is one fat that our body cannot produce on its own. Thus, to fulfil this essential requirement, we have to take it through external food sources rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This way it helps in keeping our heart, blood vessels, lungs, immune system healthy.
There are 3 types of omega-3 fatty acids - DHA, ALA, and EPA all three are essential and integral to manage and maintain overall health and reduce risk of certain diseases. If you are not sure about the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, then read below.
6 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids -
1. It can help fight anxiety and depression
Several people experience the symptoms of anxiety and depression. These are the most common mental issues that people face these days. Studies show that omega- 3 fatty acids benefit people with these disorders. The EPA omega-3 is best for fighting depression & anxiety.
2. Promotes brain and eye health during pregnancy
Pregnant women should include fish or chia seeds in their diet, as both these food items are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. It is because omega-3 fatty acids help with the brain and eye health development of the foetus. Even your infant should take DHA-fortified milk formula for better brain development.
3. Reduces risk of heart diseases
Young people in their forties are dying of heart diseases & strokes. Include omega-3 fatty acids capsules in your diet and reduce the risk of these diseases. Also, lifestyle changes and exercise are critical. The health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids for heart diseases are many. It includes reduction in blood clots, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
4. Reduces manifestation of metabolic syndrome
Metabolic syndrome is a collection of issues. It includes belly fat, low HDL level, and high blood pressure. When you have this, your probability of getting other severe diseases increases. By including these healthy fats in your diet, you will be able to reduce your chances of manifesting these.
5. It fights autoimmune disease
Another benefit of omega-3 fatty acid is it helps you fight autoimmune diseases. These include lupus or Crohn's disease.
6. Helps with mental decline
Our mental health declines as we age and makes people susceptible to Alzheimer's. With the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids, you can reduce your chances or delay the inevitable.
Food rich in omega 3 fatty acid
Fish rich in fat and oil is one of the best sources of omega 3 fatty acids. Here is the best type of fishes’ rich in fatty acids:
- Mackerel: A common breakfast option for most people, mackerel is a small, fatty fish. It is delicious and rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The fish oil benefits for the skin are incredible. Also, mackerel is rich in Vitamin B-12.
- Salmon: To enjoy the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, include salmon in your diet. Wild and farmed salmon both are rich in omega 3, potassium, selenium, and Vitamins-B. It is nutritious, and you can work it into your meals through a salad or a full meal.
- Shrimps: Rich in potassium and protein along with omega 3, it is a favourite dish. People consume it differently all around the world.
Other fishes rich in omega-3 fatty acids are-Trout, Sardines, Sea bass, and oysters.
Some people are allergic to fish or do not consume them. If you are one of them, you can consume deep-sea fish oil. The fish oil benefits are massive and can replenish your body with tons of omega-3 fatty acids.
Whether you consume fish oil in capsule or liquid form, they have tons of benefits like:
- One of the significant fish oil benefits is that it can support heart health. It can control blood pressure and cholesterol level. These two are leading causes of heart conditions.
- Fish oil benefits people who are at risk of certain mental conditions. Its positive effect is seen in people who have bipolar disease.
- Fish oil capsules benefit people who experience chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation leads to severe diseases and is life-threatening.
- Fish oil benefits skin massively. The skin contains omega-3 fatty acids, but it declines after a certain age. Thus, a fish oil capsule benefits your skin. It keeps skin disorders like dermatitis and more away.
If you are vegan or do not consume fish, chia seeds are an excellent source of ALA omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds are low in calories and rich in protein, calcium, and fibre. All of these nutrients are important for our bodies.
Mixing chia seeds in your breakfast bowl of oats and fresh fruits is the best way to consume them. However, you can also drink chia seeds water, which provides your body with tons of benefits.
Want to try a sweet seed that can make your smoothie even better? Then try hemp seeds. They are rich in omega-3 along with other nutrients like zinc & iron. Add to your protein bar to reap its benefits.
A nut in the form of the brain, walnuts are a perfect source to reap omega-3 fatty acid benefits for your body. Soak them overnight and consume them every morning. Or mix them in your granola or oats or trail mix.
Who doesn’t love kidney beans? Another reason to love them is that they are rich in healthy fat-omega-3 fatty acids. Try them with rice, and it will become a staple meal for you.
Use soybean oil for cooking or drizzle it on your salad. Both ways are good for adding a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acid to your diet.
The Health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are massive, and you cannot ignore these. To live a healthy life, you need to enrich your diet with this healthy fat. Since our body cannot make this fat, it is necessary to include any source of omega-3 fatty acids. If you cannot consume the needed amount of this fat, try fish oil capsules for their benefits.